Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Drunk drivers claiming lives in Austin, TX

According to a report done by KVUE Austin, in 2014 alone there were 12 lives lost due to the carelessness of a drunk driver.

With Austin climbing the charts of becoming the fastest city in the nation, that comes with repercussions. Austin has now become a city filled with out of towners looking to party in our beautiful city and make their dreams come true. I was trolling twitter earlier this morning, as I usually do, and came across a tweet regarding one of my favorite Austin Bloggers (@atxhipsters, www.atxhipsters.com) and learned that our beloved Kelly was hit by a drunk driver and passed away. I didn't know this person in real life, but I have followed @atxhipsters for as long as I can remember. This saddened me to the core. It also saddens me to hear about another reckless person taking the life of someone else.

Reading more about @atxhipsters and just by reading the blog, I read about Kelly taking in drunks to sleep on his couch to avoid drunk drivers on the roads...about how much he hated drunk drivers. As I read on, I learned that 3 drunk drivers were arrested that night due to the accident he was involved in. If there was any light to that situation, that would be the light beam. Though it is deeply unfortunate that a life had to end, at the same time 3 reckless drunk drivers were taken off of the road.

This is what I have grown to hate about Austin. I have been here for nearly 12 years, and I have plenty of fond memories about how the city used to be, I've seen in grow and I've grown along side with it. I see the good and I see the bad. This is definitely why I stay away from downtown, and even more importantly, this is the main reason why I proclaim myself the designated driver when out at all times. This doesn't have to happen. & Hopefully this will be Austin's wake up call. Whether we like it or not, Austin needs to crack down...Bars needs to stop over serving their patrons, take responsibility for your city and the people in it. Party goers- think about your actions and for godsakes man... respect your city. If you want to be reckless and party, by all means...go for it. But the second you get behind that wheel please do us all a favor and drive yourself into a brick wall. No one needs to lose a life due to your carelessness.

Read more here & Here

No comments: